If the economy has cost you or someone you know a job, college is one option to consider. A number of government agencies, charities, and colleges are helping the unemployed head back to the classroom.

Federal Pell Grants can provide unemployed workers with up to $5350 for the cost of community colleges, 4 year colleges and universities, and technical schools.You will need to:

  1. Decide on which educational program is right for you.
  2. Fill out a FAFSA.
  3. Talk to your school's financial aid office. If you are receiving unemployment benefits, you will need to bring evidence to prove that you are a laid off worker.
  4. Contact a One Stop Career Center in order to make sure you can continue receiving unemployment benefits with the college program you have chosen.

Many community colleges are providing free or reduced tuition rates for laid off workers. Check with your local community college for details.

One example of a program for dislocated workers is the Community College of Allegheny County, Pittsburgh PA. Dislocated workers are able to attend college tuition free (a certificate program) and only paying fees if they are able to provide documentation that they have been laid off,  are a resident of the County, attend college within one year of their lay off, and apply for federal financial aid first. 

Categories: Financial Aid | Grants
Tags: financial aid to go back to school laid off workers pell grant

Connect with Go Financial Aid in your favorite flavor!