There are a number of options available to start planning for financing college. Below are a few of the most popular options.
- 529 College Savings Plans - Income-tax free savings plan for college. Flexible but does not lock-in future tuition rates.
- 529 Prepaid Tuition Plans - Similar to 529 College Savings Plans, but lock-in the current tuition rate and grow at a the same rate as tuition.
- Credit Card Rebate and Loyalty Programs - Programs such as Upromise, BabyMint, and SAGE Tuition Rewards, that offer rewards towards college savings.
- US Treasury Savings Bonds - Series EE Savings Bonds, Series I Savings Bonds, Zero Coupon Bonds and Treasury STRIPS, and Treasury Inflation-Indexed Securities (TIPS).
- Coverdell Education Savings Accounts - Formerly known as Education IRAs, these savings accounts are also income-tax free.
For professional assistance with College Savings and Planning, check out our Financial Aid Consulting solutions.
Receive a free ebook copy of College Planning 101: Starting off on the Right Foot exclusively from Go Financial Aid. This free resource details the aforementioned plans and helps you prepare your child for financial security and the ability to afford college.